Event ideas

Events: both meatspace and virtual

Event ideas

Postby Redag » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 pm

Please feel free to add event ideas to this thread. Some ideas I have been considering:

1) A regularly scheduled online chat for A+ locals. When we can't actually get together in meatspace, we can hang out online. I am open to suggestions for a software solution for this event.

2) Atheist bowling. I am worried this might exclude too many folks who dislike bowling, but bowling is one of those activities where competence is largely besides the point.
Redag
Site Admin

Re: Event ideas

Postby Coach » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm

What a great idea! A regularly scheduled online chat would be inclusive of people who don't currently go to in-person meetups such as parents who are busy with kids and people in outlying areas or without transportation.

I laughed when I saw the bowling suggestion! A couple years ago, I was talking to a few local atheists when I made a joke about having an atheist bowling team. There was a flash of enthusiasm until they realized I was kidding.

I'm sure there will be interest in bowling now too! I like this idea because it includes college-age atheists who are excluded by meetups held in bars. I suppose families with children could even come if they wanted to get their own lane with bumpers.

Question for Everyone: What are your favorite bowling alleys? Any special features such as inexpensive rates and good food? I suspect alcohol will be an important feature for some people. I know a bowling alley in the burbs with tasty, inexpensive food, but it's unlikely we'll go that far from Chicago.

"Winter is coming," and this idea holds a lot of potential to deliver us all from cabin fever.
Coach

Postby Redag » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Testing enabling of YouTube embeds:

Redag
Site Admin

Postby Redag » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 pm

A more serious response than my earlier test embed:

I was considering the UIC bowling facility. UIC is pretty easy to get to, it at least used to be pretty cheap and usually not too full. I'm also envisioning it as a place that people can do some letter-writing while the turns are being taken. So I see it as a hybrid social/activism opportunity. Do you have other facilities you'd like to introduce into the mix? The UIC location is near to the Blue Line just west and south of the loop. I think technically the neighborhood is Greektown?
Redag
Site Admin

Return to Events